First Time Jitters: Benefits After Your First Yoga Class by Abi Delfico
Part 1 of 3 - Benefits of Yoga
"Feel the energy travel up your spine” "Go ahead and massage your third eye" "OMMMMmmmmmm"
Few people have neutral views when trying something new. You may recall your first yoga class as awkward or maybe amazing. Either way you were most likely put outside of your comfort zone. That slightly uneasy feeling is a rush of mental stimulation as well as awakening of muscles in a different manner than usual. Or maybe you're a little hesitant to dive into the yoga "fad". Fear not my friend, yoga has been around for thousands of years, it's not going anywhere. Still on the fence about dipping your toes into the deep end of chakras, heavy breathing and animal poses? Here's your chance to jump off the diving board (see-through yoga pants not required) into your first couple of yoga sessions. Craving some instant gratification?
BENEFITS AFTER YOUR FIRST YOGA CLASS:
- Stress Levels: This may be the only time you have ever found yourself being completely still, with your eyes closed, without sleeping; welcome to meditation!
- Brain Function: Increases focus and working memory so that you can return to your day with more acute decision making. Adios foggy/crowded thoughts!
- Breathing and Blood Flow: Learn to stop shallow breathing, expand your lung capacity, breathe through your diaphragm, which can make your kettlebell swing more powerful. All that twisting and squeezing helps to increase circulation.
- Flexibility and Mobility: Let’s face it, if you don't use it, you lose it with flexibility that is. So you may as well start to loosen up those shoulders, hamstrings and hips now. Not to mention greater ROM (Range of Movement) can lead to PR’s in your squats, deadlifts and snatches!
- Overall Body Awareness: Low back pain? Knee pain? Posture and alignment are key in yoga. Welcome to the beginning of the end of your structurally induced aches and pains.
Alright, you now know the immediate benefits. Get out of your comfort zone and splash into the deep end, no more dipping the toes in! Don't be discouraged, most (normal) people cannot touch their toes the first class. Few closing words of wisdom: hold your competitiveness, be patient, and stay dedicated! Want to experience these benefits first hand? Come to Primal Yoga Flow, Monday, 6:30 pm.
Stay tuned for next month Part 2 of 3 in the Yoga Benefit Series. Going Steady: Benefits after Habitual Practice