Tips to Manage Anxiety and Stress this Season
When you’re feeling anxious or stressed, these strategies will help you cope:
· Take a time-out. Practice yoga, listen to music, meditate, get a massage, or learn relaxation techniques. Stepping back from the problem helps clear your head.
· Eat well-balanced meals. Do not skip any meals. Do keep healthful, energy-boosting snacks on hand.
· Limit alcohol and caffeine, which can aggravate anxiety and trigger panic attacks.
· Get enough sleep. When stressed, your body needs additional sleep and rest.
· Exercise daily to help you feel good and maintain your health. Check out the fitness tips below.
· Take deep breaths. Inhale and exhale slowly.
· Count to 10 slowly. Repeat, and count to 20 if necessary.
· Do your best. Instead of aiming for perfection, which isn’t possible, be proud of however close you get.
· Accept that you cannot control everything. Put your stress in perspective: Is it really as bad as you think?
· Welcome humor. A good laugh goes a long way.
· Maintain a positive attitude. Make an effort to replace negative thoughts with positive ones.
· Get involved. Volunteer or find another way to be active in your community, which creates a support network and gives you a break from everyday stress.
· Learn what triggers your anxiety. Is it work, family, school, or something else you can identify? Write in a journal when you’re feeling stressed or anxious, and look for a pattern.
· Talk to someone. Tell friends and family you’re feeling overwhelmed, and let them know how they can help you. Talk to a physician or therapist for professional help